Monday, November 07, 2005

Vesper Service

Last night I had the honor of attending a Vesper service at my parents church. The service was led by a 24 piece orchestra, which brought us through Psalm 42 in worship and prayer. After the 42nd Psalm was finished, the Minister of the church read the names of family members who had passed on during this church calendar. It was remarkable to hear each chime of the organ with each name called. I love the fact that this church had a service to remember those who had passed away this year. All too often I find that our Churches don't offer time for Lament and Grief. The church I attend does praise and worship very well, but I always wonder if the person next to me is being represented with our "joyous" songs. It is extremely healthy for our church to laugh together and to cry together. I am thankful this church offers the chance to cry.

No comments: